So you've got a website for your business. Job done, right? Not so.
Websites, if not updated regularly can fall behind and become more of a hindrance than an asset. And ultimately, after a certain period of time, the technology of websites advance and it will be time for a total re-design.
That will cost a fortune, I hear you say. Not so. Whilst it is true that it will cost you something to have a redesign think of it as an investment because it is nothing compared to the cost of doing nothing.
The simple fact is that for your business to survive in the ever-competitive online market you have to be changing up your strategy regularly and tracking what works and what doesn't. Failure to do so could mean the end of your business.
So, how do you know if it's time to tweak your website, or even get a full redesign? Here are our top 5 clues to look out for:
1. Is your website mobile friendly? If not, don't read any further. Seriously, stop reading - You need to get a mobile friendly website immediately. As of the end of Q4 in 2017 Statista.com had over 50% of global internet traffic coming form mobile devices. Can you really afford for potentially 50% of your market to miss you altogether? Didn't think so.
2. How old is your existing website? Websites are no different to any other form of technology. They age and fall behind the times. You wouldn't start a business today using the original Apple Mac (first released in 1984) would you? So why would you hope that a several year old website will still perform as it should? Our advice would be that if your website is over 2 years old, consider major design & functionality upgrades, if not a total redesign. A good benchmark is to visit the websites of some of the top companies in your field; if your's isn't as good as theirs - it's time for a change.
3. Does your website display your company in the right way? Now this one sounds simple, we know. But the fact is we've heard so many business owners say "Oh we know the website needs work, it hasn't been updated for awhile". Now, be honest with yourself, does this sound like you? If your website does not correctly represent your company 100% of the time you WILL be missing out on sales/new clients. The internet is the most competitive environment out there, and if you fall behind for long it can be a very costly procedure to get it back on track again. You, as a business owner, have to understand that in this day & age the odds are your website will be the first encounter a potential client has with you. Make sure you make a good first impression; because where the internet is concerned the old adage is true - You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
4. Does your website have a blog section? This is a big one! Still, to this day, the number one question we get asked is "is it worth me being on social media?" to which we scream the word yes! Followed by a reminder that you also need to blogging regularly - the two work best hand-in-hand! Most older websites don't have a blog or news section, and if yours falls into this category then it's time to change things up! Need further proof? You're reading this information from a blog post. The fact is that your clientele is interested in your brand, and you should be interested in getting your company message out there. A blog is a fantastic way to do this, whilst also contributing to regular new content on your website (making people check back regularly) the SEO benefits are huge too. Now, stop reading and get blogging!
5. Is your current website working for you? This is the most important one & it should be simple, but so many business owners stick with websites that are not working because they don't want to deal with having a new one made. This is a costly mistake and there's no knowing how many clients or opportunities you're missing out on by doing this. In business, if something isn't working then it needs to change. Every aspect of your business should either serve you in a positive way, or cease to exist. If your website is not performing correctly, contact your web design team and speak to them about it. Make change happen, and if things aren't working out don't be afraid to source a new designer or marketing professional (Like us!). The future of your business could depend on this. Don't let you business fail because you didn't understand the importance of a great website.
So there you have it, our 5 top tips for knowing if you need a new website. Hopefully this will make it clearer for you and help you make the tweaks needed so that your business can continue to thrive online.
If you are looking for a new website, outsourcing solutions or any aspect of your current marketing is not working for you - contact us today. We'd love to help!
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the CONTACT US section of our website.